Saturday, January 1, 2011

just an early new year's day musing....

this year I will NOT be a yarn snob! If the yarn is suitable for the project and the recipient-be it me or someone else-I will not shun it because it's from Michael's or NOT from some over-priced yarn store or web site.
As my VBF just said: "if it works, use it!"
Now with that said, this small version of the Wonderful Wallaby I'm now knitting for young Brett J. (aged 2) is being knit of an acrylic yarn purchased at Michael's called Impeccable from Loops and Threads. 192 lovely yards of some really nice, soft, washable, wearable, acrylic yarn for $2.50/skein. It's knitting well, and I KNOW it will wear as well.
I still love luxury fibers and yarns, and have some wonderful stash awaiting my needles. I've spent some serious $$$ on these as well. I do NOT know how they will knit, or wear and DO know the care of whatever I knit of them will have to be "hand wash and rinse with cool water and very gently, be sure to not wring and lay flat to dry". Fine sometimes. Not fine all the time.
just an early new year's day musing....back to knitting.

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of great yarns out there, even ACK!, that have purpose and place. However, there is also a lot to be said for the process, and if you are trying to knit a sweater with yarn that is hard to work with, hurts your hands, strains your eyes, etc., it is not worth it. And, if someone expects you to knit for them (MINE!), they should supply you with yarn that will work for the project and for happy knitting. All you are getting out of it is the joy of the process, and if that is a struggle and a fight because of the yarn, not so happy. It doesn't have to be the most expensive yarn, but there are a lot of very happy yarns out there that easier to work with than others.

    ReplyDelete